Wednesday 27 May 2009

Reasons to be cheerful

At the end of a verrrrry stressful day it can be very easy to say 'Sod it I quit!' and I've felt like saying that quite a few times today. But it's worth remembering the following:

  1. I used to hate my old job. Not just dislike it, HATE it and hate isn't a word I use lightly. I was fed up with being the one who got the coffee, the one who answered the phones and the one deemed too unintelligent to take a more active role in the company. Now I run my own business - who's stupid now?
  2. IF I decided to go back to work outside the home I would have to find childcare for my girls. I don't think it would be difficult - they have a team of surrogate aunties who I would happily leave them with - but it wouldn't be financially viable.
  3. Which brings me to point three - IF I didn't do this job I wouldn't be able to contribute to the bills, run our car or go away on holiday. Of which we are having three this year!
  4. Whilst I would love to be a stay at home mummy and devote my time to my children, this is the only way to get paid to do that. Whilst my time with my girls is diluted somewhat with the other kids here, at least I HAVE that time with my children which, when I worked in said foul job, I just didn't get and that hurt.
  5. After 11 years doing work I disliked and was over-qualified for I have started over in my 30's - which is some achievement in my book.
  6. Without my job I would have no friends! No really, it's true! Before I started this job my experience of 'friendship' was to be the laughing stock of a group of people, general doormat and to be abandoned in the darkest hour of my life. Now I have discovered what friendship is and that there are selfless people willing to put themselves out for others. Bit of a revelation at the grand old age of 33 and I wonder how I ever did without them!
And finally - after a crappy crap day the last of my kids was just leaving and he reached up and gave me a big squishy hug and a slobbery kiss and that has to be the best reason to be cheerful!

-

No comments: